Nice to Meet You

My photo
Originally from Texas, I am a reader, writer, pseudo-gardener, baker, record collecting student working on my Ph.D. in the Midwest.

Thursday, August 12

Dry Winters and Hot Wind

I live in Nebraska.



And one of the first things which a Texas girl asks when moving to a new location is about the weather. What are the winters like? What are the summers like? Seasons? What are those?

I was told to expect mild winters and pretty warm summers. But, don't you worry, the winters are dry, so they won't be as bad. And there's always wind, sometimes it's hot, but it will still cool you down.

When I moved here about a year ago, it was a cool 85 degrees with a lovely breeze... the kind where you want to sit on your porch and enjoy lemonade type breeze. Now, I thought that this was what summers would be like. So lovely. So temperate. So beautiful. If this is what the summers are like, winter can't be too bad....

Then winter came. With the first snowfall in October. October!



And I don't care what you say, "dry" winter means absolutely nothing once it gets below 20. Or even 32. It's still frickin' cold! There were mornings where it was -14 and stayed that way throughout the day. Towards March, when it would get to about 10, I was sweating.

You read that right, sweating.

But, then, winter left (Thank you sweet baby Jesus!) and we got Spring!



So.. this is what seasons are.... It was so beautiful and was re-instating my trust in the Nebraska weather. Lovely 70 degree days, cool nights, windows open for about two months. Ahhhhh

But now. Now we are in summer. And where I remember a refreshing breeze, all I now feel are hot winds. What is a hot wind? Well, my friends, a hot wind* is one in which the wind is blowing at about 40mph (hello Nebraska!) and it feels about a hundred degrees. Rather than cooling you down, it just feels awful and sticky.



Did I also mention that it gets into the 90's here? Oh, I know what you're thinking, "You're from Texas. Really, whining about the 90's?"

Au contrair, mon ami.

Yes, it's in the 90's, but this past Saturday, the heat index was 116. And we don't have central AC.

I am counting the days until fall...



*as defined by moi

No comments: