Nice to Meet You

My photo
Originally from Texas, I am a reader, writer, pseudo-gardener, baker, record collecting student working on my Ph.D. in the Midwest.

Thursday, January 13

Back to School with a Resounding Thought

I stepped foot on campus again today. Well, I had class yesterday, but today I went into my building.

It's been a month since I was in my office.

And, as I was talking to our clinic assistant, faculty members, some classmates, and the secretary for my department, I had one resounding thought:

"I am so lucky"

It hit me as I was bouncing up the stairs from the clinic to my classroom. I had this huge smile on my face, I could just imagine what I looked like if I were to step in front of mirror. But I didn't care. I am so lucky because I love what I do. And, I see a lot of people and know a lot of people, who don't love what they do.

But me? I honest-to-God love it. I love my classes, even when they are terrible. I love my clients, and how they force me to think outside of the box and expand myself. I love my fellow students and the relationships that I have formed with them. I adore my professors. I may not adore them all the time, but I can appreciate how they force me to be a better clinician, researcher, and teacher. And the staff. Oh, but, I love the staff. They make my life unbelievably easy and have so much knowledge.

I am doing what I was made to do. I really am. I am in the exact program at the right time. I am going to get to do what I love for the rest of my life.

I have worked my ass off to get to this point and it has been totally worth it.

I really am lucky.

2 comments:

Heather said...

:)

Chet said...

This absolute happiness and satisfaction with your decision to pursue a PhD, and your ultimate life goals are big time reasons I'm ecstatic we're married.