Nice to Meet You

My photo
Originally from Texas, I am a reader, writer, pseudo-gardener, baker, record collecting student working on my Ph.D. in the Midwest.

Sunday, August 1

In the Garden of Eden



I don't know how many of you who read this are religious/spiritual/searching/questioning/atheist/agnostic/whatever. I am spiritual, though. Not sure about all that other stuff, but that's for later.

Have you ever heard something that just sticks with you? I mean really sticks in your heart and you can't seem to shake it? Last Sunday, I had that experience. It's been a really long time since something spiritual has been stuck with me, so I've been thinking about it all week.

The sermon was about losing our innocence, in a non-sexualized way. It was about that moment that we realize that things just aren't what they seem. And that this moment can be when we're little kids or when we're adults in our 20's, 30's, 40's etc.

We made our way to the Garden of Eden as most Biblical discussions of innocence do. But here's where things were switched up on me. The pastor first stated that this story is not literal (I know, I know. woah. But you need to hear that before you hear the rest). He then posed the idea that God removed us from the Garden of Eden to bring us closer to Him.

Okay, okay. I need to repeat that.

What if God removed us from the Garden of Eden to bring us closer to Him.

Here's the rationale. When we were in the garden we didn't really have freewill. We loved God because that was all we knew. Outside of the garden though. Wow. Look at all of the options we have. So placing us here allows us to choose God or not.

That is just an intense thought process for me. What do you think?

1 comment:

Heather said...

This is good stuff. Thanks for sharing, Nicole.