Nice to Meet You

My photo
Originally from Texas, I am a reader, writer, pseudo-gardener, baker, record collecting student working on my Ph.D. in the Midwest.

Thursday, April 28

Once more, with feeling

I rode my bike today. I rode it to campus, then walked it to El Potreo, and then walked/rode it home.

And my goodness but it felt good. 

I learned how to ride a bike at 18. I then rode one about 15 times over the next 5 years.

Bikes don't make any sense to me. I have this theory that we must learn to ride bikes as tiny humans, otherwise our brains take over and tell us that there is no way that two little skinny wheels are supposed to hold us up. It's ridiculous. 

I digress. 

Basically, bike riding kind of scares me. Okay, it really scares me. 

But last night, I realized that gas had gone up yet again, that the husband and I had saved almost $260 from not eating out in April, and that it was ridiculous that I drove to places like the coffee shop, the university, the library -- all within, literally, a two mile radius of my apartment. 

I then realized that we bought this beautiful bike for me and it was just... sitting in a corner. And that was ridiculous.

Then I thought about the fact that I needed a basket and a headlight on the bike for it to be worth riding*. Because, clearly I can't be seen riding with a backpack on or ride during the hours of 6am and 8pm. That's just... well, silly. 

Or, not. 

So, today I rode my bike to campus, then walked it to  El Potreo, and then walked/rode it home.

*I was chewed out today for not having a helmet, so I'm on the hunt for one. Promise. 

2 comments:

Live Simply Mommy said...

You are totally inspiring me to start riding me bike! Although, I really need a helmet as well.

Nicole said...

Yay! I'm glad to inspire someone!

I bought a helmet this weekend... we'll see how that goes. :)